Monday, August 20, 2012

You Are What You Eat!

The sweet smell wafts into my classroom from the kitchen next door.  As I hear the beep-beep-beep and the microwave door opens, I know immediately what's being warmed.  Someone is about to eat a cinnamon roll.

And I'm starving!

My bag of carrots is inedible, so a snack is out of the question.  I've just finished a conversation about Oreos and donuts, and chocolate chip pumpkin bread was brought in by seniors this morning for breakfast.  And I'm famished.  This is not my day...

As she walks by my door, the smell lingers and I can hear my empty stomach growl.  It's two hours until lunch, and I know I can easily go grab one of those cinnamon rolls, satisfying my hunger and my craving.


I know what you're thinking.  JUST EAT THE CINNAMON ROLL ALREADY!  But the thing is that I don't eat sugar.  Any sugar.  AT ALL.  And I know that if I eat just one sugary treat, my body will be very, very unhappy.  Months ago, I cleansed myself of anything that doesn't belong there.

My mind wanders to a conversation I've had earlier today about holiness and being set-apart.  It's the taking out of the unholy, the unnatural, the things that don't belong.  My flesh adamantly wants to fill the hunger with the glittery pleasures of the world.  My nature wants those sticky, gooey cinnamon rolls more than anything!!!

But the worldly pleasures don't belong in me.  They will make my spirit sick.  God demands holiness (1 Peter 1:16).  He desires purity and anything else is sin.

So when she passes with her dessert that calls my name so loudly, I will ignore the temptation and remind myself that refraining from the impure is always right and always worth it.

8 comments:

hannah @ honestly here said...

I've been wanting to get rid of sugar for the longest time for the same reasons. Good job hanging in there! As I work toward it I'll remember the same thing, that its always worth it. :)

Jacqui said...

Katie, this made me laugh so hard!! I eat terribly!! I don't want to give up my sugar, and I don't want to scale back :) What do I do!? I guess I need to ask God to change my heart...to give me a desire to be healthy! I can't help but think of the analogy that adds to your lovely blog post...! If I'm not desiring holiness, all I need to do is ask God to change my heart...to give me a desire for it! Now, I need to work on that sugar addiction! Love you friend!

Tonya said...

I just started reading Jen Hatmaker's book, 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess. Have you read it? I'm still in the first of the seven, which is about food. It makes me CRAVE foods that I no longer eat, but it's been really good to read. Have you read it?

kj2911 said...

I've never heard of it!!!

Katie @simply[his] said...

I've never heard of it!

Tonya said...

It's the next book for the Blook (in)courage book club.
http://www.incourage.me/2012/08/seven-the-details-schedule.html

Barbie said...

Oh Katie, you are so right. Sugar is horrible for my body, for anyone's body really. I have tried and failed to give it up. I am on a quest to get healthy and pray that God will direct me into His holiness. I want to be full of Him so that it makes giving up the unnecessary easier.

tanya @ truthinweakness said...

wow, & i thought i was the only one on the often-lonely sugar-free journey. (and i'm talkin', not even fruit for the time. [*sigh*]) it makes my body incredibly unhappy also, not to mention the havoc i can wreak on my family (aka sugar claws). :(

but it's an intense road, isn't it? esp. when holidays & social events pretty much revolve around sugar. the siren sound is nothing less than relentless in our culture.

so thank you, my friend, for this reminder. the reminder that being set-apart is good for not only my body, but also my heart & mind. i know full well that my food journey is far from simply a physical journey. it's been quite a spiritual journey as well, & i'm so grateful for that. for all of the much-needed heart construction that He's done along the way.

thx again for the ever-relevant encouragement,
tanya

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...