Monday, August 06, 2012

The Worst Girl Here

The 8 of us sit on the bleachers that surround the basketball court, words of judging and King David from our lips to their ears.  We're sharing truth, and I can see Him speaking.

And one precious daughter of God, one who struggles with choices, opens her heart to share.  She's apologetic, yet the words flow anyway.  When her confession is finished, 

"I'm probably the worst girl here.  I'm sorry if that's not who you thought I was, but it's the truth."

Silence.
Shock.
Sympathy?

This young woman, not yet 16, feels the shame of her past sin, the weight of the world, and nobody knows what to say.


To be honest, she's experienced more in her short life than I have in mine, and it would be easy to judge her for her decisions.  

But we are called to love.

"You are judging by appearances.  If anyone is confident that they belong to Christ, they should consider again that we belong to Christ just as much as they do." (1 Corinthians 10:7 NIV)

And she, my dear sister, speaks softly, breaking the silence....

"All sin is the same.  Sin is sin."

And those words stick to the air like humidity on a hot Alabama afternoon.  More silence, but it's clear that we're all thinking, taking it all in.  We, too, were in need of rescue.  We were dead in our sin and content to be so.

Until the we lifted our weary eyes and looked upon His dying face, allowing His righteousness to cover our shame.

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:32 ESV)
~~~

My friend Barbie@My Freshly Brewed Life has so kindly asked me to be her Inspired Blogger for the month of August!  Please hop on over to her blog to read her words about her Savior.
~~~

Joanna, my beautiful friend with a servant heart, is heading off to college this week and would like to share her journey.  Check out her blog and send some encouragement her way!





On In Around button

miscellany monday at lowercase letters

5 comments:

Barbie said...

Oh friend, I still feel like the worst girl at times, even at my age. Learning to fully embrace and accept myself unfortunately has taken my life time. But I wouldn't change this slow journey. I have learned so much about me on the way. I still have moments where I look to the past -- past sin and hurt. I am so thankful that we are all cherished in His eyes!

meag said...

I almost wrote about this. =] so glad you did.
broke my heart.

kj2911 said...

I kind of thought you would! :)

Katie @simply[his] said...

I figured you would write about it... I was just waiting. :P

Nikki said...

Thank you, friend, for wrapping His loving arms around this precious child. I was reading from Luke 7:40-44 (in the MSG) recently and saw it clearer than I have ever before. If the forgiveness is minimal, the gratitude is minimal... When we realize how useless we are without Him we hold on tighter to Him. don't you think? Praying this girl clings with all she has within her...

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...