Thursday, July 19, 2012

Welcoming Seasons of Change


Autumn brings a wearing away, a breaking down, a preparing for stark cold days to come.
Ground freezes in winter and the snow falls, saturating the ground before the growing comes.
Spring brings new life budding and green surrounds our hearts that have longed for new life.
Finally, summer bathes us in heat and sunshine, allowing vegetation and long, beautiful nights.


Seasons are expected, and while you may tire of scorching summer heat or dark, dreary winter, you never question the coming of the change.  You long for the new, the promised.  You know that this, too, shall pass.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately about the seasons in our lives.  For as long as I can remember, I’ve hated change.  I’m the kind of girl who longs for forever friendships and, if I could, I would put down roots in a lovely little house somewhere and never leave.  I get used to the way things are, and I don’t want to lose anything I have.

But He’s been teaching me to expect the change.

Honestly, since I started viewing life through a new lens, I’ve gained an entirely new perspective.  When you reluctantly say goodbye to the lifelong friend, you can wrap the years up in a neat little box and thank God for that season.  When you're in the midst of trial and suffering, you know that winter will, at the appointed time, turn to spring and new life will appear.  When you begin a new, somewhat scary adventure in your career, you know that this is the season He’s been preparing you for, and you submit joyfully.

The seasons are part of God’s master plan, the big picture.  Each season has its purpose.  We know that summer holds warm sun and autumn holds howling winds; we never have to question or wonder if it’s right because the Maker of the seasons is in complete control.  He paints the canvas of our lives, all the weavings in and out of the lives of others, and each stroke is beautiful and perfect. 

So when you lose or struggle, remember the truth that my God is fully sovereign and that everything is  in His hands.

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: (Ecclesiastes 3:1 NIV)
Life: Unmasked




9 comments:

Suzanne Whitton said...

This is beautiful, thanks so much for sharing on Thought Provoking Thursday - I've not stopped by before. I too am someone who is loathe to change anything and I struggle with those changes which are forced upon me. Remembering that seasons are good for us and part of God's plan, reassures me.

Nikki said...

Love your heart and how you can translate it into words, friends.
Growing hurts...seasonal changes are awkward and inconvenient...and yet, He has it all under control. Striving with you to release and let Him lead. Hugs to you!

Kristina Dyck said...

Love this, and your blog is beautiful.

Katie @simply[his] said...

Thank you so much!

Katie @simply[his] said...

Yes, He does have it all under control! <3

Katie @simply[his] said...

Thanks for stopping by, Suzanne! :)

Michele-Lyn said...

I think that I am becoming settled in the same thing you said -- expect the change. Before change would make me really, but now I am at peace with knowing nothing ever stays the same, except God. Knowing God can't change is my anchor. This is such a pure and beautiful post, my friend.

Sisterlisa said...

I totally understand this "
I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately about the seasons in our lives. For as long as I can remember, I’ve hated change. I’m the kind of girl who longs for forever friendships and, if I could, I would put down roots in a lovely little house somewhere and never leave. I get used to the way things are, and I don’t want to lose anything I have."

Then I learned that change is what brought me new adventures in my faith.

Annie | annieathome.com said...

I love this Katie. I love that God's built seasons into life (where we live), and the constant reminder that life is happening in all of them - even stark winters. Thank you.

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...