Wednesday, July 04, 2012

It Can Never be a Long Time Ago



Sometimes, we just want to read Little House on the Prairie.  Living in Walnut Grove, Minnesota sounds perfect, and the thought of spending the day sawing lumber with Charles or laughing with Laura and Mary brings a smile to our faces.   We find ourselves enthralled with this tiny town, in spite of storms and hardships.  And even though we are doing the best to love where we are, something inside of us longs to go back, and pretty soon, we’re battling discontent.

Too much looking back causes us to stop looking forward.

And we get stuck.

Thoughts like, “If only my babies were still babies, then…” or “I wish my husband would just…” find their way into our minds, and we begin to seek contentment in our version of perfect, forgetting that His “ways are higher than [our] ways” (Isaiah 55:9). 

I’m reminded by Paul in Philippians that we are called to contentment.

“…for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:11-13)

We must learn the secret of being content in any and every situation…

Whether rich or poor.
Whether a mom of 4 or longing for just 1.
Whether friend to many or few.
Whether happily married or single and lonely.
Whether popular or forgotten.
Whether promoted at work or stuck in a boring desk job.
Whether in the college really desired or the last one on the list.

Any and every situation.

Why?

Because our strength comes from Him, the one who calls us to each and every season in which we find ourselves.  It's all for Him.  

All of it.

~~

“When the fiddle had stopped singing Laura called out softly, "What are days of auld lang syne, Pa?"

"They are the days of a long time ago, Laura," Pa said. "Go to sleep, now."

But Laura lay awake a little while, listening to Pa's fiddle softly playing and to the lonely sound of the wind in the Big Woods… She was glad that the cozy house, and Pa and Ma and the firelight and the music, were now. They could not be forgotten, she thought, because now is now. It can never be a long time ago.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder




WIPWednesday

12 comments:

renee said...

We are reading Little House now! I have been writing about how we are all closer to each other than we think but when it happens, I'm still so amazed. Enjoyed your post.

Meag said...

i love love this!

Meag said...

i love love this!

Mary Beth said...

I love Little House on the Prairie. Ashamedly, I've never read the books, but have probably seen every episode. Great message here. This is one I try to remind myself of daily. I want to be fully here. Right now.

Mary Beth said...

I got spammed again. I left a comment, and when I came back it was gone. Check your folder. :) He said with time it would stop doing that. I'm leaving this one signed in under Twitter. You can delete it. :)

Amy @BelovedPursuit said...

I don't think your "pouty day" should have come as much of a surprise on the heels of this incredibly deep and challenging post. It's often those times when Satan attacks and gets us to fight the very thing we were just speaking against. Love you friend.

Katie @simply[his] said...

You're right. I think I need to read my own post again.. <3

Katie @simply[his] said...

I've never read the books either. Shhh! Don't tell!

Mary Beth said...

haha okay, wink wink.

Katie @simply[his] said...

Oh, and Paul was speaking loud in my head today. I've learned to be content in any situation....

Amy @BelovedPursuit said...

Hmmm Maybe after Power of a Praying wife, we could look into Beth Moore's 90 day Paul Study. ;)

Nikki said...

Oh, now I know why it took me so long to read this. Today was the day I needed it. Beautiful thoughts, friend.
And speaking from someone who actually lives not far from Walnut Grove, I can attest....now IS now. It can never be a long time ago...

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...