Monday, July 02, 2012

Filled to be Emptied

This is my prayer in the desert
When all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides


This is my prayer in the fire
In weakness, or trial, or pain
There is a faith proved of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flame

I will bring praise
I will bring praise
No weapon formed against shall remain
I will rejoice
I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

This is my prayer in the battle
When triumph is still on its way
I am conqueror and co-heir with Christ
so firm on HIs promise I'll stand

All of my life in every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

This is my prayer in the harvest
Where favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to emptied again
The seed I've received I will sow


The notes rang out, words familiar to me, but this time speaking stronger. 

I know I’m filled to be emptied again.

And I thought back to the lesson I’d just taught my precious girls, how I’d told them that we are to expect trials when we follow Christ.  Being a disciple of Jesus isn’t about skipping down the yellow brick road with daisies and birds as our companions.  He tells us, “In the world you will have tribulation,” (John 16:33) yet when it actually happens to us, we scrunch up our faces into frowns and demand answers. 

Why me, Lord?  This isn’t supposed to happen to me!  Can’t you fix this?

Deny yourself.
Take up your cross.
Follow Me.
(Luke 9:23)

I am filled to be emptied.

I am not filled to feel good about my life or to avoid troubles.  I am filled by the Father so that I can surrender and serve.

It’s funny, when I think of it this way, that I’m filled just to be emptied, everything changes.  Desperate to equip myself for battle or drought, I dig deep and cling tight.  And I know that when I’m walking weary through the arid desert where there is no water in sight, He will soon lead me to the springs and renew my strength.


And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.  (1 Peter 5:10)

~~~

Always counting...
#605 Peached juicy enough to drip
#607 Afternoon with precious cuties


#608 Local place, untouched by progress

#609 Air conditioning

#610 Productivity
#611 Garden vegetables
~~~

life rearranged

miscellany monday at lowercase letters
friday favorite things | finding joy




10 comments:

Barefoot Hippie Girl said...

linking up from miscellany Monday.
I am constantly being reminded of this lesson. Emptied that Thou shouldst fill me.
Thanks for sharing.

Jacqui said...

I love this...filled to be emptied! And that is where we find greatest satisfaction...when we let Him flow in us and through us onto the lives of others. And you are an example of this friend! Thank you <3

Mary Beth said...

What a beautiful reminder! I've never thought of it that way. Filled just to be emptied. But it's true. Thanks!

L said...

Thanks SO much for sharing!! I LOVE this!! =) Such a wonderful reminder about how life is meant to be, totally not the way we want it, but the way that brings glory to God.
Much Love,
L


allglorious-within.blogspot.com

Alicia@the Overflow said...

I am filled by my father so I can surrender and serve.... that's the one line I needed today. Thank you. Hopping over from Ann's.

Nikki said...

You know I loved this post, friend. Absolutely everything about it. Thanks for stirring my heart today! (And I'm glad I'm one of your girls, too, who gains wisdom from you) ;)

Janelle said...

I absolutely love that song and the name of your blog. So glad to have found you.

Janelle
gracetags.com

Glenda Childers said...

After you have suffered a little while ... can feel long sometimes. Thanks for the reminder of being filled to be emptied.

Shelly Miller said...

I am not filled to feel good about my life or to avoid troubles. I am filled by the Father so that I can surrender and serve . . . love this line. It resonates with me today. Thank you. I like your new site look, its cozy here.

Kelli Parker Becton said...

love this! thank you for sharing ;) following you on fb now

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...