Monday, June 25, 2012

Wearing Clothes that Fit

Standing before the doors, staring up at the sign of red letters, I was pumped!  This store, full of low-priced clothing, was ready for me!  We were going to have a lovely hour together, and I would exit with arms full of cottons and prints and cute summer coverings!

Guess what?  That did NOT happen.

First of all, this store is major sensory overload!  Music blasting, x-small tanks and too-short denim from floor to ceiling (literally), and preteen girls everywhere, frantically sliding hangers across poles to find that perfect outfit.  As if it wasn’t already enough that I was hitting my afternoon I-really-could-use-a-nap feeling, all of this was wearing my mind thin.


After thirty or so minutes of sliding hangers and touching shirts (why do we have to touch every article of clothing we pass?), and when I’d had enough One Direction and Kelly Clarkson blaring in my ears, I headed for the fitting room, five pieces in hand.  As I tried each one on, hoping for a miracle, I became more and more annoyed and less and less excited about this decision to check out the store.  The shirts made me look like a balloon and I found myself wondering why they even make this stuff, but I guess when you’re a size zero, you can wear things that look like sacks and it doesn’t matter; you still look like a size zero!

And that’s when the voices started to sneak into my head. 

You’re not good enough.
Look at how pretty all of these girls are.
You look ridiculous in that.
Just give up!

Insecurity has long been a friend of mine.  Always faithful, always there, always willing to offer opinions and advice and LIES.

When I have a need to be the best in every area, and something threatens that, I crumble, falling victim to the deceit of the enemy.

I want to be lovely and beautiful in the eyes of the world, yet I am told by my Savior that I AM lovely and beautiful in HIS eyes!  The reason?  Because I am His.  I am beloved and I am “clothed with strength and dignity” (Proverbs 31:25 NIV), not with the latest fashions or the cutest hairstyle.  Why do I continually strive to please the critical eyes of the culture around me when I already have the favor of the Lover of my soul?

“Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.” (Romans 13:14 NIV)


anunfadingbeauty.blogspot.com/

Please visit my dear friend Meagan's brand new blog today 
as she reveals her struggles with insecurity and body image.  

~~~

Always Counting...
#585 Making my backyard beautiful


#586 Good neighbors
#587 Friends without judgment
#590 Design work that's fun!

#592 Getting school work done
#594 Moving on
#595 Old movies
#599 2 Corinthians 10
#601 A surprise gift from a friend

#602 Walks outside with hubby

#603 Happy dog

#604 I'm a writer today!

Linking up today--

life rearranged

friday favorite things | finding joy

miscellany monday at lowercase letters

12 comments:

Adrienne said...

What a great reminder to look at myself as Christ does. Does He care about the 10 lbs. I wish I could loose. NO! I'm struggling right now, b/c I worked very hard to loose extra weight last year, but it's creeping back and I feel it. I just can't figure out if my motivation is health or vanity. Being a woman sucks sometimes, and insecurity sucks even more.

Arielle Hattan said...

Another great post! Did you go to Forever 21? I dispise that store for the reasons you listed above! And you're amazing in so many ways but especially blog design!

Nikki said...

Thanks for giving me that courage (aka reminder) I needed....gonna go put on that swimsuit and take the boy to the pool... and yes--everything about this screams not worth it. But the look on his face tells me otherwise...as it shows me more clearly what His face is reflecting...

Meag said...

<3 #601 & 604! =]

Alyssa said...

GREAT post!! Thank you for this!

Tammy said...

I loved your post. I was in a store like that last week and boy did I have fear creeping in and insecurity. Thanks for sharing beautiful verses to remind me that I am beautiful in God's eyes. Visiting from Ann's today. Have a blessed day!

Susan Harms said...

Isn't it amazing that a woman that is a size 12 (like me) and a woman that is a size 0 (like perhaps your friend Meag at some point in time in her life) can say the same exact things to herself and believe the same lies? You are right, the lie is always the same; You are not enough. It's the very first lie Satan ever fed us, eat the fruit and you will be like God, who he made you is not enough, he's holding back on you. We run to out idols and gobble them up only to end up hiding in shame. I am so thankful that I can now be hidden and clothed in Christ! I'm so excited I found your blog! Can you believe that I randomly clicked on your name from the 1200+ list of writes on Jeff Goins blog? You are adorable and I love your stuff. Also I noticed on your "about me" you wrote Classical Edication. I used to work at a Classical School and loved it! (I was a Latin Teacher) We moved and my kids now are in public school, but we sure do miss the Classical and Christian approach. God bless your precious heart. I will be back. Susan

Susan Harms said...

*our idols*

Katie @simply[his] said...

Susan, I'm so glad you found me!!! Look forward to getting to know you better.

Katie @simply[his] said...

Thank you, sweet girl!

Katie @simply[his] said...

God's working on my heart with this whole insecurity thing... May He change our hearts!

Katie @simply[his] said...

<3

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...