Wednesday, May 09, 2012

I'm a Pharisee. Nice to Meet You! Now How Can I Judge You?

Y'all, I think I'm a Pharisee.  You know, one of those Old Testament guys I used to sing about in Sunday school!  ("I don't wanna be a Pharisee... 'cuz they're not fair-you-see!")  In my seemingly-eternal struggle between law and grace, I find myself settling into the gospels.
"But your disciples do not fast." -Matthew 9:14
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" -Matthew 9:11
"Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?" -Matthew 12:10
"They don't wash their hands before they eat!" -Matthew 15:2
And I am there, standing among them, shouting in my indignation, appalled that these men who claimed to be religious would dare break the rules!!!



After all, to be "good enough," you have to follow the rules!

Don't wear that. 
Don't listen to that.   
Don't hang out with her!

Trying to please God (and everyone else) by avoiding certain things but never having the right heart only proves one thing- I'm completely missing the point!  What have I done with grace?  Why has following the law overshadowed grace to the point that I have to really work to find it, much less rely upon it?

And since when have I been appointed as everyone else's Holy Spirit??

Somewhere in my first-impression judgments, I have become my own measuring stick.  Spending all my time looking down at others and being glad "I'm not like them" has only caused my heart to stray from what it really means to be a disciple of Christ.  Christ tells us to be holy as HE is holy, not to be holy as Katie is holy.  As much as I might think it's my God-given job to "fix" everybody else, I fail to remember my own need for grace.  Sin plagues us all, and following the rules (an outward doing) does nothing to heal the disease (an inward being).

You see, my sin is easily hidden, for it is one of the heart and spirit.  And so I excuse it, knowing that nobody else can see what's deep inside.

Except for God...

And isn't His opinion the only one that matters?

2 comments:

Meag said...

yikes! right to the heart! needed this :)

<3

Amy M said...

haha. maybe I shoulda read this before our convo... always fun to see that we're in the same place... we shoulda been twins. :)

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...