Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Trading Dresses for Denim

She's beautiful and has it all together.  No stress, no worries, no struggles.  I look at her and wonder if she ever gets angry with her husband or resents her coworkers.  I wonder if she has bad hair days or days when she just wants to lie on the couch and do nothing.

In my mind, her life is roses and her character is faultless. She's content, she's humble, she's everything I'm not.  A true Proverbs 31 woman.

And so I hide behind my mask, convinced that people won't think I'm worth their time.  Constantly comparing, I work and wait for the day when I can be like her... when I can BE her.

But then I get to know her.  We let our guards down and begin digging deep.  Hearts are opened and spirits begin to free, and I'm surprised at what I uncover.  This girl, her heart beats to the same rhythm mine does.  We share the same struggles and failures.  She, too, wonders if she measures up or meets the standard.  And suddenly I realize...

It's ok to be me.


We are two, simply searching for our value, in stubborn disbelief that we are His beloved daughters.  We are loved because we are His; no other accomplishments are needed.  If those around us reject us, it doesn't mean we aren't good enough.  If we miss the mark and need His grace, it's not a chance for self-deprecation but a chance to fall deeper into His arms of rescue.

And the more women I meet, the more I realize that we're all in the same boat!  We all have hangups and insecurities, and most of us are afraid to admit them for fear of rejection.


We are always hiding, yet we believe we're living.

This mask that we wear has been fashioned by human hands, by our own hands; it was not crafted by a loving, protecting God.  We wear it to cover up the Godless nature that was created in the Garden when the serpent stabbed sin into our hearts.

It's the reason we can't trust others.
It's the reason we compare.
It's the thing that pushes us inward.
We know sin well, and we've convinced ourselves that nobody else will understand.

So rather than reaching out to others, we retreat, settling for a colorless and lonely existence.


Oh, the blessings we miss while we waltz around the masquerade, fake smiles plastered on our faces.  Isn't it time we traded dresses for denim and got rid of our glittery masks?

"Let the beloved of the Lord rest secure in him, for he shields him all day long, and the one the Lord loves rests between his shoulders." (Deuteronomy 33:12)



Find me on facebook or twitter!

5 comments:

MTereasa said...

I love this. I have been on a mission to remove my masks this year. Friendships are so much better without them!

Nikki said...

Yeah...those masks were becoming cumbersome anyway....let's peel them off! :)
loved your post, friend. thank you. 

Heather said...

This is wonderful. Yes, it's a risk, but it's so affirming to have someone to truly journey with.  Thanks for sharing.

AshlieWrites said...

I didn't get to comment the first time I read this, so here I am again. Just saying this...I love you a wholllleee bunch and I'm so glad you're you!!! Love this :)

Tonya said...

Love this, Katie! This speaks to me so directly. 
It's the reason we can't trust others. It's the reason we compare. It's the thing that pushes us inward.  
That is so me! That is what I have been struggling with for all of my life. I need to stop comparing myself to others. I need to trust again. I need to stop living inside myself. I need to let go. 

I'm working on it :) 

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...