Saturday, April 21, 2012

And Some Slapped Him...

Surprised at sudden confrontation, I feel the tears sting.
Without prompting, I am blamed.
Defenses deep inside threaten to overflow.

"But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you." (Luke 6:27)

I know this command.
I remember what this Savior did when He was reviled.
I realize what my response should be, but I fight it hard.

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them." (Romans 12:14)



Oh, how my heart wants to be angry.
This undeserved shame and pain gives me a right to be, doesn't it?
I've been wronged!!!

"Then they spit in his face and struck him. And some slapped him." (Matthew 26:67)


And I am stopped.

"But Jesus remained silent..." (Matthew 26:63)


Father, forgive them...





3 comments:

Michele-Lyn Ault said...

oh my... I know this struggle all to well. I have been wrestling with this lately. It's worse -- people are unwilling to confront face to face and so I am dealing with "passive aggression" ... 

This is where the rubber meets the road... is my walk going to match my talk... 

Only by His grace can we love like He loves... praying at this moment for both of us -- to speak like Him, to be silent like Him :)

Katie @simply[his] said...

only by His grace.  so true.  i'm learning so much these days!!!

Nikki said...

I would comment, but  you and Michele have said it all! convicting post, friend. thank you for stirring me today!

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...