Monday, March 05, 2012

Soaring Above the Storm

It's a stormy day here in the South.



One of those typical early spring days where we spend hours watching the radars and sitting in our "safe places."  (By the way, 180 students makes for a very small-feeling safe place!)  But on this day, I found myself outside in the yard, staring at the sky.  I love watching storms roll in.  The dark clouds, the rumbles of thunder in the distance- it gives me a sense of wonder and awe at Creator God.  As I smell that completely wonderful smell that spring storms bring, I notice the hawks over the cove.  They're soaring fast and free, and I think about how wonderful it must be high in their sky.

When storms come, they don't hide.
When storms come, they don't try to fly against the winds.  Instead, they are still and let the winds carry them.
When storms come, they don't look up at God and ask why the weather is so terrible.

They trust.
They trust because they know that every other storm has always become calm, and every windy day has led to a sunny one.
They trust that nature will act as it always does, according to the patterns it's been assigned.

And then... there's my dog.
My precious 8-year old dog who is terrified of storms.
She's learned that when the sky lights, thunder is coming, and she immediately begins to shake.
The loud noises and heavy rains make her heart race with fear, and she runs to hide in the bedroom.

I've decided that we're dogs and not hawks.

We worry.
We fear.
We hide.

And somewhere along the way we've learned to look to the heavens and ask why the storms come.
We find ourselves (sometimes angrily) questioning the bad weather in our lives.
We find ourselves without trust as we try to fly against the winds in our own strength.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather soar above the storm than hide in the bedroom shaking.

I know my Savior brings the storm clouds, and I know He loves me.  These two things are not mutually exclusive.  He brings storms AND He loves me.  And because He loves me perfectly, He brings the storms to build my character.

So I will spread my wings and soar, trusting Him to protect me and cover me with His love.

"But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31 NLT)


~~~





Always counting...
#395 NICU nurses
#396 Newborn holding my finger
#397 New friends I can encourage
#401 Nights to sing loud
#402 "Your love never fails, it never gives up, it never runs out on me!"
#404 Brainstorming sessions with freshmen
#407 A day of texting with a new friend
#408 Thunder clouds and wind
#409 Dinner with best friends
#410 Rocking baby to sleep



7 comments:

Sarah Koci Scheilz said...

Katie, this is beautiful. Love (and need) this story of facing our fears and storms courageously because of Christ's love for us!

Nikki said...

Read this earlier today and have been thinking about it ever since. Because something tells me I'm "under the bed" more than I care to admit... Thank you for your wonderful encouragement to rise above!

Amy McCollister said...

I know we talked about this, but I'd have to agree. And Have you read the post over at makemeamary.com today? If not, you'll love it...If you jump over there...you'll see that between you and her, He's grinding this into my head today. :) Blessed to be able to call you friend!

Michele-Lyn Ault said...

"We find ourselves without trust as we try to fly against the winds in our own strength." This is so true... when I find myself endeavoring in my own strength, it is a reflection of my unbelief... there is rest in trust... and resting in Him in the midst of the storm is where I want to be found... beautiful my friend... 

Rebecca said...

And then some of us have terriers who are not afraid of anything reminding us of God's strength...ha! ha!  Hope you were safe in those storms that swept the south yesterday.  Having lived in the south I remember watching and listening for the sirens.  But, how delightful it inspired your beautiful post today!

Laura @ Pruning Princesses said...

"He brings storms and he loves them." I love the comparisons. I never have liked dogs.....in fact my pet of choice is a bird =) But Buster doesn't sore too high. Thank you for the encouragement. 

Sarah@ Speaking of Truth said...

Beautiful, as always. My favorite part: "I know my Savior brings the storm clouds, and I know He loves me.  These two things are not mutually exclusive.  He brings storms AND He loves me.  And because He loves me perfectly, He brings the storms to build my character."
So true. Thanks for this gem, Katie. Love!

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...