Thursday, March 22, 2012

Running Just to Eat Cake

I've gone off the deep end! 

Well, at least that's what some of my friends might tell you if you asked them right now.

Before my spring break week began, I decided that this would be a good chance to change my eating habits.  My first thought- Paleo.  I have some co-workers who've been doing it for awhile, and they have been very happy with it.  Now when I decide to do something, I go all out; it's very hard for me to ease into anything (thus my knee pain today from running too hard this week).  Because of my need to conquer and succeed, I had to go cold turkey.  I announced proudly to my husband that I would no longer be eating (at least for the week) processed food, refined sugar, or grains.  (I decided to keep the dairy even though it's not Paleo.  My apologies to all the purists; my bones will thank me one day.)  After he gave me a very strange look, he just decided to let me do my thing while he happily munched on a Cadbury creme egg.

I started telling people about my decision.  Some of them looked at me like I was crazy, some said they admired my willpower, and some are along for the journey as well.  I stopped counting the calories.  I started running AND walking instead of just running to make myself feel better about "checking the box" for the day.  I stopped eating the Girl Scout cookies in the freezer and the Wheat Thins in the pantry.  I let my oatmeal packets run out and I gave all the creme eggs to my hubby.  (Did I mention all the Girl Scout cookies we'd JUST bought?!)  

I'd like to tell you that it's been hard and that I've stood in front of the fridge with tears in my eyes, but I can't.  It's been easy!  I've actually enjoyed it!

After four days, I'd already lost three pounds and I have never, ever felt better in my life!

I've been "eating healthy" for awhile, or so I thought.  I've been counting calories, which usually went something like this:
Oh! 500 calories left for the day!  That's... 10 cookies!  Yes!
And I'd sit on the couch eating my cookies and feeling completely happy with myself for "following the rules" and staying under my calorie goal for the day.  (Oh, the dread of the RED number in my fitness app that means I WENT OVER.  I'm surprised alarms don't sound to make you feel dreadfully guilty!)  

You see, the problem with that kind of living is that I was looking at it all wrong!  I was doing everything I could to end up with as much "wiggle room" as I could so that I could fill it with all the unhealthy food I could.  I was pushing the limits and the boundaries, and I was perfectly content to do so.  Oh, the self-righteous attitude I had when deceiving myself.

God agonizes when we, His children, get as close to the limits as we can.  We do all the good things that are on "the list," but we are really deceiving ourselves.


We are very good at running the mile then eating the cake because we think we deserve it.  

"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." (1 Cor. 6:19-20 ESV)

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that verse and just blown it off.  
Temple of the Holy Spirit, yeah, that means God lives in me, I'm a Christian, etc.
But it clearly says body here, not spirit or soul.  

This is what I want to say to you loud and clear, friend.  Give God your body.  Give Him your cravings and your excuses, your energy level and your time.  Commit to glorifying God with your body, no matter what it takes.

"I can do all of this through Christ who strengthens me." (Phil. 4:13)


~~~
Linking up with the Must Love God community today.



3 comments:

Amy McCollister said...

I've had a co-worker actually tell me that I went off the deep end. :) I've cut the bread out again, but am going to go back to the modified Paleo eating.  I as well (as you know) have seen great success through it and feel I need to get back to it. :)

Nikki said...

So proud of you! And if you've jumped into the deep end, good for you! that takes faith! :)
I never realized how much I wouldn't miss the girl scout cookies if I treated my body the way God intended.
and I know I've told you before, but really, I better look into paleo as I have recently discovered an intolerance to wheat! who knew it was a wheat overdose coming off as allergies...
 

Meagcochran said...

<3 proud of u!

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...