Friday, March 16, 2012

Running Again [FMF]

Today is the day we write for five minutes about a topic, but I am going to break the rules!  (Ignoring my good girl...)  I wrote these words weeks ago, and today is the day God has chosen for me to share them.

The topic- BRAVE

~~~

A few weeks ago, I got sick and was stopped dead in my tracks for days.  I couldn't eat and I couldn't be up for more than about thirty minutes without feeling like I was about to fall flat on the floor only to wait for someone to walk by and rescue me from certain death.

Thankfully, I'm starting to feel better now, and I know it's about time to start running again.  It's been two weeks since I've seen my treadmill, and I'm pretty sure it's gotten lonely without me.  It might actually be a little angry with me at this point...  Anyway, I've missed running and I'm craving it!  But you know what?

I'm scared.
I am scared to begin again, to start over, to face the possibility of only running one mile instead of three.  I am worried I won't be able to do it after being away for so long.  I am hesitant and wondering if it's worth it after all.

Perhaps this is what we feel when we feel far away from Him.  When we aren't where we should be, and we haven't been for awhile.  When we've fought the calling and pushing and prodding of our Redeemer tooth and nail, hoping He will just leave us alone.  When we're dead and flat on the floor...

And we're scared.

Scared to come back for fear there will be punishment or guilt.  Scared to face the truth that our hearts are lifeless without Him.  Scared to throw down pride and give our lives back to Him.

Scared we will just fail again when we try to be everything He wants us to be.

Scared to surrender.
Scared to submit.
Scared to start over.

And yet our Father sees us from afar, coming down the path, and He welcomes us with tears of joy.  

"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him;  he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. " (Luke 15:20 NIV)

A long way off... when we're still far away and filled with fear and uncertainty.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found."  (Luke 15:24 NIV)

All He asks is that we come.  
He will clean up the mess.
Just come.

Start over.
It's time to be brave and run.
Will you join me?

~~~


10 comments:

Rachel Wojnarowski said...

OH the bravery in running! Great post!

Cassi Brightforest said...

"Scared to surrender.Scared to submit.
Scared to start over."
Oh how true those words are. There is serious scary there. So hard to get past.. Prayers to you.

Paula Ebert said...

I'm thankful that God took THIS prodigal back! I took a break from running for a couple of weeks, also... It was actually Monday of this week that I started back. It hurt, but yet felt so good when I finished. Makes me think of how it is when we go back to Him. It definitely will hurt, as we will have to deal with the parts we've let go downhill, but it will all be worth it!! :) Thanks for sharing your heart!

Rachel said...

Thank you.  I needed this today.

Nikki said...

thank you for sharing, friend. I soaked in every word.
yes. striving to simply show up. to come. . .
thank you.

Sarah@ Speaking of Truth said...

I HATE fear. I hate what it does to me. Why is it so hard to be brave sometimes? Thanks for the encouragement today. Great passage, too. PS. I miss you! Haven't heard from you in a while :(. Would love to know how you've been doing! And hey, if you're up for free stuff...there's a great giveaway on my blog right now that I would LOVE for you to enter!! Love you!

Laura@ Pruning Princesses said...

Fear of failing is big in my life. I long to overcome it. I hope you are running again. 

Sarah Koci Scheilz said...

Katie, such a fantastic analogy. Getting physically out of shape and starting over . . . oh, friend, I know that challenge far too well! But a run begins with just one step, yes? And in our one-step surrender to God, He carries us back to Him. Beautiful!

Amy @ Little Adventures said...

Wonderfully encouraging post Katie! :) Thank you for sharing! 

Barbie said...

Oh how I understand these words.  Beautiful truth here!

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...