Sunday, March 25, 2012

For His Name's Sake

"The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guide me along the right paths for his name's sake." (Psalm 23:1-3 NIV)




This is one of those passages we all know by heart and can probably say without even thinking about it.  But herein lies the problem--- we say it without thinking about it!  When I flipped to it today in my Bible, I noticed I'd written the words "not for me" in the margin next to verse three.  This place where I dwell with the Lord is lush and green and quiet.  I am happy and completely fulfilled, but I am not on my own path.  Nowhere in this do we read that we chose the the path and the Lord, the Shepherd, is along for the ride.  No, the Lord is leading and it's all for His sake, His plan, His glory.

The only place we can truly find peace is in His pastures and on His path.  Have you surrendered or are you a sheep trying to lead your shepherd?

~~~

5 comments:

Child of God said...

Yes! It is all for the glory of God and He is so gracious that He finds it good to include us in this huge plan of His. 

Blessings,<><

Barbie said...

I use to think of this scripture as one you read at funerals.  It was not until I began meditating on it and singing in, week after week after week in the House of Prayer that God began to truly open my eyes. I am in need of the Good Shepherd and his leading every day.  Thank you for sharing your heart today!

Sarah Koci Scheilz said...

Oh, Katie . . . you've pointed out just the problem: I say so many verses without really thinking about them or reflecting on them. Thank you for this, friend.

Nikki said...

I'd like to say yes. That I've surrendered. And some days I can...and then there are other days...
Thanks for giving me this verse to linger on today!

tanya @ truthinweakness said...

hey there, sweet friend,

i don't know if you've ever read lucado's traveling light, but my aunt sent it to me when i was in the thick of my recent health crisis. in it, lucado shares a story for ea. vs. in ps. 23. and with each story cames a soothing salve to heal this wounded soul. incredibly powerful stuff. and i've never read ps 23 the same since . . .

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...