Saturday, January 21, 2012

Those Whom He Loves

Young and wide-eyed boy of four, hair all a mess from playing hard, counting members of his family.
Dad..and Mom..Sister..Brother.. Me.. Baby not yet born..
Fingers emerge, counting thoughtfully, carefully.
Seven!
I look quick, confused, wrinkled brow.
Don't you mean six?
He smiles, excusing my obvious forgetting.
You!  You are in my family!
I smile... Deep in my soul.
I matter to him.
I belong to him.
This child whose affection isn't bound by relation of blood includes me in his circle of love.
It all makes perfect sense to him!  Those whom he loves are family!

And God whispers to me that this...this belonging...this pure and unconditional love from a child...
It's a gift.
I do not deserve it.
No, not at all.
Yet this boy gives his heart freely.
Without reservation.

And I humble.
Slowing down and savoring this moment...
Father, is this how you love?  
When I don't deserve, you give love?


How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! [1 John 3:1 NIV]




No comments:

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...