Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Smothered by the List

I'm sitting here on my welcoming couch after a long day...
and I'm tired.
It's Spirit Week at school, which means extra thought about what to wear...
and I'm tired.
I have Lincoln speeches to read, English essays to grade, and a memo to write...
and, yeah, you know what comes next... I'm tired.


I think of all the things I'd rather be doing (listening to The Help, starting So Long, Insecurity, reading blogs, sleeping!).
My eyes barely open, my mind numb.

Sometimes I find myself feeling overwhelmed with that to-do list that stares at me, taunting me constantly.
It sees the hold it has on me, you know...
It knows...


But you know what?
Sometimes it's ok to rest.
Sometimes I just need to put it all aside,
the list and the noise and the needs...

This good girl who always feels the need to accomplish, to please, to do...
Sometimes I just need to...stop.
And rest in Him.

It'll all get done.
And it'll all be ok.
I promise.

"...for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from His." [Hebrews 4:10]

Do you ever feel smothered by your lists?  How do you find rest?  What scriptures do you seek?  Please share!

2 comments:

Ashlie said...

Katie, I loved this post and so relate to it! I am a list person, through and through, and yes, I often feel smothered by it. You're right...it really is okay to rest...I needed that reminder today. Thankful for His grace no whether I'm checking things off or taking a nap. ;)
P.S. We read a lot of the same books! So Long Insecurity is SO good...I am planning to read it again this year :)

Love and blessings,
ashlie

Alexandra Anne said...

So...I have two lists sitting right by me...probably don't need to say that I relate!! Life is so busy crazy but I still must find time for HIM.

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...