Wednesday, January 11, 2012

One Word Wednesday [Love] #2

Ahem.


Announcement:


I love people!  I love everyone.  After all, Jesus says to love your neighbor, right?
Easy!
And of course, there is the ever-spoken, "You don't have to like them but you do have to love them."
Whew!  As long as I don't have to like them...


You know what?  It's really easy for me to love people just like me.  It's easy with my dear friend who is almost a carbon copy of me.  It's easy with the people who don't talk over me or snub me or simply make my head spin with their constant energy.  It's easy with the ones who will accept me in spite of my complaining, struggling, and pride.  Loving those who...oh my word, it's really true... love me back is easy.  


This isn't unselfish love.
At all...


I find myself loving to gain rather than give.  
Ouch.


God calls me to love my neighbor, which really means I'm to love all kinds of people!  
But Lord, surely you didn't mean that person, did you?  Come on... She's just so ___________!


Ok, so apparently I have NO idea what love actually is...



Philippians 2:3-10 ESV-

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. ...




1 Corinthians 13:4-5 ESV-

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;





And so I continue my journey down this path of allowing God to rip me away from the comfortable...

What about you?  How do you show love to the unlovable?



1 comment:

simplystriving said...

ouch is right! I'd love to say I love everyone easy peasy. . . .
but I can't say that.

Yes, I'll admit there are some people I try to avoid. . . *ugh*

The good news is that God's love comes in a variety of different forms. I just need to be creative! For there's always a way to extend God's love. always....

Thank you for making me ponder this, Katie!

~Nikki

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...