Monday, January 16, 2012

A New Thing

Confession: This little introverted "must-plan-everything" girl does not like change.  I like routine, schedules, plans!  They allow me to breathe easier and smile more.  (Seriously, try to spring something on me spur-of-the-moment and see what happens...)

I'm convinced, however, that God wants me to chill out a little bit about this whole change thing.  Over the last few years, I've encountered many changes in my world, and every single time, I've met them kicking and screaming!

In the last year or so, I've lost friendships- really good ones!- and I've fought it.  Consistently, I would find myself asking why I couldn't keep that person interested in me or what I said/did to push them away.

Blaming myself.
Every single time.


But I've recently come to realize something, really realize it.  You know, not one of those "it's in my head realizations" but one of those light bulb moments when a reality bangs you in the forehead and sinks right on in!

God gives me the things/people I need for whatever leg of the journey I'm on.


When my life changes, and He moves me to another part of His plan for me, He knows what I need.  He brings new things all the time!

He brings change.


Change that I need for the moment.


"Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old.  Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?  I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." (Isaiah 43:18-19)


And what does He require of me?  That I embrace whatever gifts He shares with me.

New opportunities.
New people.


And my loving Redeemer speaks softly to me all the while...

"I am going to make things so satisfying, with myself, that you will have life in the desert!  I will be your living water.  I will give you what you need.  Let go of the past.  Stop worrying.  Stop blaming.  Stop wishing."


Embrace the change.

He is doing a new thing!


~~
Counting gifts with Ann Voskamp today.

#24 Afternoon shadows in my woods
#32 Second Chances
#37 Beautiful music that moves me
#39 Silence when I need it
#46 Weekend renewal for my soul





6 comments:

Laurie Wallin said...

Ah, change. A tough thing to become friends with! But I like how you tied it to what God's always been at work in your life about. His plan for you is unchanged... and it includes change. Only He can make that craziness work! :) Glad to find you through Chatting at the Sky.

katie said...

Laurie, thanks for stopping by! I love what you said about his plan being unchanged and including change. What a good perspective!

redemptionsbeauty said...

I can really relate to what you say here. I have moved so many times and struggled for years, mourning the loss of deep friendships and feeling that void in new places, not quite understanding why. Until like you, I got the epiphany, realized that He brought me exactly what I needed in each place, I just didn't see it that way.

BARBIE said...

I love all of my little routines in life, and when the wind changes direction I can often be caught off guard. But then I realize that God is in the wind and I only have to surrender so that it can take me where He wills me to go!

Nikki said...

This? Was beautiful.
Thanks for sharing it with us! :)

katie said...

God is in the wind... I like that!

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...