Saturday, January 07, 2012

The Little Red Truck

Yesterday morning did not begin so well.  Alarm- 4:15.  Only slept 6 hours...again... and I didn't want to go run.  Did it anyway.  Then I dropped an egg on the floor and later snagged my fingernail with the razor.  Finally made it out the door, and ended up behind Mr. "I'm in the country and I'm going to drive 35mph no matter what."  I don't know how many of you have ever driven through the country (I'm talking Alabama country here), but it's really not that normal to keep to the speed limit out here. (I mean, um, Hi Mom!  I always follow the exact speed limit.)

HE. WAS. DRIVING. SO. SLOWLY.

Well, I decided that this wasn't going to bother me.  What's the point, right?  After I got to the highway, I could be on my merry little way.  I popped in my David Platt sermon for today, which was on James 1.  Yeah, that's the "count it all joy when you face various trials" one...

Suddenly, I realized that, at some point, Mr. Country had turned off.  I was actually driving the speed limit again!  But I could not remember him turning off!

Ok, so I'm an English teacher, so parallels come to me rather quickly and when I don't even look for them.  And, of course, God whispered one in my ear.

You see, when we are struggling along in life, bogged down by something or other, all we can see is the little red country truck that's hindering our joy.  We are unhappy because the lines are solid and we can't pass it.  We are frustrated that we are stuck.


But what we forget, so many times, is that when we change our focus, we forget all about the truck!  When we abide in His Word, our struggles are lifted without us even realizing it!

Set your eyes on your Savior today.
Stop wishing you could pass the truck.
Learn to dwell in Him.

James 1:2-4-
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.


2 comments:

Monica said...

I love this analogy! Thank you so much for sharing it.

kathryn said...

Need that reminder daily: dwell. :)

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...