Friday, December 30, 2011

Throw Down Your Nets


"He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore. Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat. When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.” Simon answered, “Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.” When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break." (Luke 5:3-6)
~~~
I've probably read this 100 times, but something new grabbed me this time.  (Isn't it so cool how scripture has that power?)  These men, these fishermen, had been working so hard to catch something!  They were following all the rules, doing exactly what was expected, yet still they couldn't catch a single fish!  It didn't make sense, I'm sure, why they weren't having any success.  
Enter Jesus.  "Throw your nets down, Simon."  Simon must have thought Jesus didn't have a clue about fishing, but maybe he humored him nonetheless.  Obviously, they'd been doing that very thing all day long!  Simon basically tells Jesus it probably won't work since their efforts haven't done any good, but he will do it because Jesus asked him to.  
And what do you know, they caught so many  fish that their nets broke!  Were they doing anything differently than they'd been doing all along?  No. So what was the difference?  Why were they able to catch so many fish this time?  
Faith. Simon decided to have blind faith in Jesus and do what He said. He stopped trusting in himself for a moment and placed his trust in Jesus Christ.  He stopped trying to prove himself by following the "rules" and working hard to "get things done."  
I'm a doer.  I'm one of those "good girls" who thrives on following the rules. I like to make sure things happen and I'm a planner. (Did somebody say control freak?) I would probably have been standing next to Simon saying, "You're crazy. We've done everything we can and it hasn't worked.  This isn't going to work either!"  I tend to trust in what I can see, what I can accomplish on my own.  But this isn't what Jesus asks of me.  He doesn't want me to accomplish things the hard way-- without Him.  His call is simple and clear- "Throw down your nets and see what I can do!"

No comments:

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...