Monday, October 17, 2011

Why is New Birth Necessary? (Day 2)


Ephesians 2:4-5-- "But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us,even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved."


Yesterday, I gave the first reason for needing a new birth:
Reason #1-
Apart from the new birth, we are dead in trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1-2)
We cannot love/desire the things of God unless we are alive.


Reason #2-
Apart from the new birth, we are by nature children of wrath (Eph. 2:3)
"among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind."


"Our problem isn't in what we do but what are are.  Apart from the new birth, I am my problem. You are not my problem; my parents aren't my problem; my enemies aren't my problem.  My nature is my deepest personal problem."


We aren't born with a good nature that is "messed up" by the world.  We are born selfish and self-centered.


"Our nature is so rebellious and so selfish and so callous toward the majesty of God that His holy anger is a natural and right response to us."


(Adapted from Finally Alive by John Piper, available free on Desiring God)

No comments:

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...