Monday, October 03, 2011

Undivided

We rely on our hearts for so many things.  With our hearts we love, we make decisions, we grieve, and we choose how to spend our time and money.  How often do we catch ourselves saying things like "Oh, I love that movie!" or "Follow your heart!"  Do we even really understand the purpose of our hearts anymore?


God created us with strong emotions, and He knows we are driven by those emotions.  But look at this!
"For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things." - I John 3:20 (KJV)  GOD is greater than our hearts, the very things that drive us to do what we do... GOD is above them!  


The problem comes in when we give our hearts to the wrong things or people or pastimes or passions or causes.  When we as Christians struggle with where to place our affections, we are entering dangerous territory.  Here, the Psalmist speaks a powerful prayer:


Teach me your way, Lord,
that I may rely on your faithfulness;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.

Psalm 86:11 (NIV)


Notice the progression.  
Learn.
Rely.
Undivided Heart.
Fear and Awe.


Having a heart that belongs solely to Him doesn't just happen.  It's a daily thing.  We are called to His holy Word every single day of our lives.  It should be penetrating our hearts (to the point of pain at times).  Let's take a look at C.S. Lewis' tale of Aslan removing Eustace's ugly, hideous dragon skin:

(from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader)
“Then the lion said — but I don’t know if it spoke — You will have to let me undress you. I was afraid of his claws, I can tell you, but I was pretty nearly desperate now. So I just lay flat down on my back to let him do it.
“The very first tear he made was so deep that I thought it had gone right into my heart. And when he began pulling the skin off, it hurt worse than anything I’ve ever felt. The only thing that made me able to bear it was jut the pleasure of feeling the stuff peel off.  You know — if you’ve ever picked the scab of a sore place.  It hurts like billy-oh but it is such fun to see it coming away.”
“I know exactly what you mean,” said Edmund.
“Well, he peeled the beastly stuff right off – just as I thought I’d done it myself the other three times, only they hadn’t hurt – and there it was lying on the grass, only ever so much thicker, and darker, and more knobbly-looking than the others had been. And there was I smooth and soft as a peeled switch and smaller than I had been. Then he caught hold of me – I didn’t like that much for I was very tender underneath now that I’d no skin on — and threw me into the water. It smarted like anything but only for a moment. After that it became perfectly delicious and as soon as I started swimming and splashing I found that all the pain had gone from my arm. And then I saw why. I’d turned into a boy again. . . .”
Eustace Clarence Scrubb needed the painful, piercing peeling to become what he was meant to be.  And though it hurt more than he could imagine, that's what it took to give him a pure, undivided heart.



Give me an undivided heart!  A heart that completely and wholly belongs to Christ is the only one we should have.  Anything that isn't God-driven or God-honoring has no place in our hearts. The tough part about having an undivided heart comes in when God asks us to give up something/someone we love dearly for His glory/plan.  This is where we will find our allegiance tested.  Does my heart truly belong to God and God alone?  Or am I holding onto something for me?  What am I clutching in my hand/heart?  What causes me to look into the eyes of my precious Savior and say, "NO!  It's mine!  You can't have it!"


We are reminded in this passage that when we have a heart that isn't divided between Christ and the world, we will learn to fear His name.  This is a reverent awe.  A worshipful praise.  A desire for his presence.  An undivided, God-seeking life is the only true satisfaction we will ever know.  Lie flat on your back and allow Him to pierce your heart with His perfect love.

No comments:

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...