Saturday, October 01, 2011

Strangely Dim

"Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace."

How many times did some of us sing that hymn while growing up?  (While I love much of the modern worship music, sometimes I really miss the depth of the old hymns.)  Anyway, until recently, I didn't really begin to understand what these words mean.  It's simple, really.

All that time we spend worrying and wondering and fretting and planning and wearing ourselves out... It's really such a waste!  Getting stuff really isn't going to fulfill us at all!  Having a million friends isn't going to make us any happier, at least not with true joy.  Having everything on our to-do list checked off isn't going to give us real meaning.

This lack of desire for the world and what it offers isn't something that I tried to find, not consciously anyway.  It just happened when I really started sitting at the feet of my precious Jesus every day.  Does that mean things are always great and happy and perfect?  No way!  That's far from the truth.  But the difference now is simply that I know a sovereign God is in complete control, and I just don't worry about things like I used to!

Asking Him to reveal Himself to us and to teach us His way WILL change our lives completely... Trust that.

No comments:

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...