Sunday, July 03, 2011

Enthralled

Psalm 45:10 Listen, daughter, and pay careful attention:
Forget your people and your father's house.
11 Let the king be enthralled by your beauty;
honor him, for he is your lord.
~~
David has written a wedding song, but God reveals more.  As a daughter of Christ, I am told to forget my people, and even my family for the sake of pleasing my Lord.  Does this mean that I'm supposed to cut ties with my family?  No.  (Unless they hinder me from Christ and God reveals to me that I should.)  But the real point here is that God should be so much more to me than my family that it seems like I'm forgetting them.  It's relative.  It's the same as the passage that talks about hating your family. (Luke 14:26)   And Philippians 3:8 applies here too.  I have lost everything for the sake of knowing Christ.  
So when I marry Christ, I move away from my family... the things that consume my time and my mind... and I walk with my heavenly husband.  
Then, verse 11 is such a beautiful picture!  Let the king (Christ) be enthralled by your beauty (purity, holiness); honor him (give him your everything) for he is your lord (Lord).  I imagine this newlywed couple in Israel. The young bride has come to her husband and he is so taken with her beauty, her purity, and he's just so pleased.  
I should desire to be beautiful to Christ, and what does he require?  A clean heart, a pure mind, and absolute abandon.  I should be so radiant with his love that he is, indeed, enthralled.

No comments:

Shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...